This recipe will serve approximately 8 people.
- 1.5 kg Chicken breast, skinless and uncooked (8 breasts)
- 86 gms (one half of a twin pack) lardons
- 2 onions – sliced
- 2 carrots – sliced – I don’t always peel, but if you prefer to thats OK.
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and sliced
- 300 gms mushrooms – sliced
- 2 x 400 gm tins tomatoes
- 5 – 10 sprays Fry light spray or other low calorie controlled spray
- Fresh parsley
- stock – approximately 300 mls
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F.
- Take a large non-stick frying pan and spray with low fat cooking spray. Heat, add begin chicken breasts or chunks if you prefer and sauté for around 3 – 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Add Lardons and lightly fry until brown. If you are cooking this for 8 you may have to do in batches… Transfer to ovenproof casserole.
- Place the onions and garlic in the frying pan and sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened then add to casserole with the carrot, mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato puree and parsley.
- In the hot frying pan pour the stock and let it boil up,stirring to absorb the juices. Add to casserole and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the casserole for approximately 1 hour, until chicken and vegetables are tender. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve with either rice, jacket potato or croquette potato as I did, along with a selection of fresh vegetables for those that want them.