This recipe will serve approximately 4 people – depending ow many sausages you want to eat. I can only eat 2….
- 12 good quality sausages – butchers or a good quality supermarket brand
- 1 red onion
- back bacon or bacon medallions
- For the batter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of plain flour – approx 128 gms (I use a pampered chef glass cup)
- half cup milk/water – approx 235 mls (I use a pampered chef glass cup)
- Pre heat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°
- Wrap at least half, or all if you prefer around the sausages.
- Place in a large non stick baking dish or stone – prick the sausages through the bacon
- Slice up the red onion and sprinkle over the sausage and bacon.
- Place the sausages and bacon in the oven and cook until the sausages begin to go brown and the fat from the sausages has seeped out into the dish
- In the meantime add all the ingredients for the batter in a large bowl or jug, beat together with a hand whisk or electric held had whisk – ensuring the batter is smooth and doesn’t have any lumps in it.
- When you are happy that your sausages are brown enough, pour over the batter
- and place straight back in the oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the batter is cooked, brown and risen.
- Whilst this is cooking prepare an onion gravy, vegetables (and mash), if required.
This dish is scrumptious with onion gravy, also a touch of English mustard goes down well too.